TalkSabah
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TalkSabah

Discuss,Share, inspire..

You are not connected. Please login or register

Food for the Ears

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Food for the Ears Empty Food for the Ears Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:25 am

PilotInspektor

PilotInspektor
Recruit
Recruit

[color=indigo]

Hey TS-ers

I realised we didn't have a thread on music, so I decided to start one off.
After all it's such a daily activity.

So what's playing on your stereo, iPod, or for those uber-retro, your walkman... Laughing

I was just listening to Cliff Richard's Devil Woman circa 1976 and Cat Stevens' Hard Headed Woman. afro

Why is it that there are several songs written about the devious, wiley ways of woman....however not many of such songs written about men?

Your thoughts..... Question

Also, what kinda of music is native to Sabah? Perhaps someone could post a sampling of a such a musical piece. Always good to have some world music to break away from the norm, eh.
[/color
]

2Food for the Ears Empty Re: Food for the Ears Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:17 am

Mysterio

Mysterio
Recruit
Recruit

PilotInspektor wrote:

Hey TS-ers

I realised we didn't have a thread on music, so I decided to start one off.
After all it's such a daily activity.

So what's playing on your stereo, iPod, or for those uber-retro, your walkman... Laughing

I was just listening to Cliff Richard's Devil Woman circa 1976 and Cat Stevens' Hard Headed Woman. afro

Why is it that there are several songs written about the devious, wiley ways of woman....however not many of such songs written about men?

Your thoughts..... Question

Also, what kinda of music is native to Sabah? Perhaps someone could post a sampling of a such a musical piece. Always good to have some world music to break away from the norm, eh.
[/color
]

And dont forget Santana's Black Magic Woman and a very old hit by Herman's Hermits called Jezebel. Laughing

By all counts the late John Gaisah deserves credit for revolutionizing native Sabah songs. Some of his more popular songs are posted on YouTUbe and here http://www.imeem.com/people/E-K50l/music/aw0tGsvb/john-gaisah-sumandak/

I have Southern Son's "You Were There" playing right now. Earlier it was Dire Straits' "Brothers In Arms".

3Food for the Ears Empty Re: Food for the Ears Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:32 am

PilotInspektor

PilotInspektor
Recruit
Recruit

Aaah yes! Santana's Black Magic Woman...some real good guitar licks on that one.
Another one being, Elvis Presley's Devil in Disguise. A pretty catchy one. Laughing
Along the same vein....sort of...i do love Woman Like a Man by Damien Rice. Perhaps the only other Damien Rice song which i like besides the Blower's Daughter.

In the meantime, playing in the background as i am here checking posts, is Scorpions Dust in the Wind. A group who seems to favour weather-themed songs. Winds of Change, Rock You Like a Hurricane...hehe.

Thanks for the link, I shall check it out.

Well, nights folks. Sleep

4Food for the Ears Empty Re: Food for the Ears Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:44 am

Mysterio

Mysterio
Recruit
Recruit

Dust In the Wind is good but I like Kansas' version.
And if you like something psychedelic try Dr Hook's Acapulco Goldie. For something weird listen to Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb with the lights off or turned down real low.

5Food for the Ears Empty Re: Food for the Ears Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:29 pm

PilotInspektor

PilotInspektor
Recruit
Recruit

Mysterio wrote:Dust In the Wind is good but I like Kansas' version.
And if you like something psychedelic try Dr Hook's Acapulco Goldie. For something weird listen to Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb with the lights off or turned down real low.

Whenever i hear Comfortably Numb...i feel like i should have some tie-dye prints in the background, a lava lamp and a joint in my hand. Laughing

6Food for the Ears Empty Re: Food for the Ears Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:48 pm

Mysterio

Mysterio
Recruit
Recruit

PilotInspektor wrote:

Whenever i hear Comfortably Numb...i feel like i should have some tie-dye prints in the background, a lava lamp and a joint in my hand. Laughing

So you feel it too, huh? Have you seen the movie for which the song was written?

7Food for the Ears Empty Re: Food for the Ears Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:40 am

PilotInspektor

PilotInspektor
Recruit
Recruit

So you feel it too, huh? Have you seen the movie for which the song was written?[/quote]

Would you be referring to The Wall? Nope, i've never seen it.
A classmate told me bout it once. The music video of Another Brick in the Wall actually kinda opened the Pink Floyd doors for me.

Speaking of doors - The Doors. The Lizard King etc. I did watch the movie adaptation of Van Morrisson's life. and the decision to cast Val Kilmer as the lead, just wow. talk about uncanny.

8Food for the Ears Empty Re: Food for the Ears Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:02 am

KiCkOutPTI

Regular
Regular

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if u can hear me. Really, really great song about friendship. This song was dedicated to Syd Barrett, the original singer of Pink Floyd. Today, this song reminds me of my great buddy who woke up from coma few months ago, only to lose part of his soul. To make matter worse, it's not because of drugs.

9Food for the Ears Empty Re: Food for the Ears Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:13 am

PilotInspektor

PilotInspektor
Recruit
Recruit

Today, this song reminds me of my great buddy who woke up from coma few months ago, only to lose part of his soul. To make matter worse, it's not because of drugs.

What do you mean specifically? As in, he suffered from memory loss?

10Food for the Ears Empty Re: Food for the Ears Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:26 am

KiCkOutPTI

Regular
Regular

Yes, memory loss. But I would rather say, he completely defeated by depression. Most of my friends told me he's sick or kena buat orang. Well, I understand my buddy very well. Family problems is the reason yet everyone is denying it. It's like he's deleting himself.

11Food for the Ears Empty Re: Food for the Ears Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:35 am

PilotInspektor

PilotInspektor
Recruit
Recruit

KiCkOutPTI wrote:Yes, memory loss. But I would rather say, he completely defeated by depression. Most of my friends told me he's sick or kena buat orang. Well, I understand my buddy very well. Family problems is the reason yet everyone is denying it. It's like he's deleting himself.

Gee, that's bad. How did he end up in a comatose state? Was it an accident? Since you said it was not drug-induced.
Interesting that you brought up the 'kena buat' clause. Does this happen a lot in your community? I've heard of this happening to some people i know, but I try my best to not give it too much thought.

Whatever the case, i hope your friend seeks some counselling.

For depression is not an easy malaise to overcome.

12Food for the Ears Empty Re: Food for the Ears Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:56 am

KiCkOutPTI

Regular
Regular

He was involved in an accident like 6 months before the coma stuff happened. My friend said he should have died from the incident since the car was totally wrecked into pieces (That's my friend, he always escaped from death). But there were several incidents that involved his family and marriage happened at the same time. I won't go further into that one. What surprised me, he suddenly when into coma state. It happened during office hour. Personally, I think voodoo stuff is BS. Who practice it nowadays. The family think so but I don't. I think he's too tired, physically and emotionally. Presently, his family is trying hard to cure him. My opinion, they should have prevent it earlier. Sorry, I'm a bit pissed off here.

13Food for the Ears Empty Re: Food for the Ears Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:02 am

Mysterio

Mysterio
Recruit
Recruit

How's this for a taste of the extraordinary? Black magic or voodoo or staged video?

BTW boss, we dont a have thread for the unexplainable or extraordinary so I post this video here, inspired by KiCkOutPTI's comments on "kena buat". Laughing

14Food for the Ears Empty Re: Food for the Ears Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:23 am

Mysterio

Mysterio
Recruit
Recruit

KiCkOutPTI wrote:Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if u can hear me. Really, really great song about friendship. This song was dedicated to Syd Barrett, the original singer of Pink Floyd.

Syd Barret was suspected to be a psycho and a junkie but he did write good music. His song, Shine On You Crazy Diamond, was played during his funeral in direct reference to his lifestyle.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum